“Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.”Carl Sagan
In a drought-stricken future, three teenagers—a refugee ice poacher, an AWOL soldier, and the heir to a hydrology empire—fight to protect North America’s dwindling water supply.
Young Adult Climate Fiction
Young Adult Science Fiction
Short Story, published in Cicerone Journal, September 2021
Armed for the Future
Neither dust storms nor disability will stop teenaged engineer Cassini from saving her father…or uncovering the truth about her Martian colony.
What you can expect from my stories:
- SOUND SCIENCE. I conduct extensive research to build my future worlds on plausible foundations. Writing science fiction is a terrific excuse for me to learn new things; I hope to pique your curiosity, too.
- PAGE-TURNING PLOTS. I like stories that grab me from the first sequence, and plots with more twists than a DNA double helix.
- COMPLEX FEMALE CHARACTERS. These were lamentably absent from much of the sci-fi available in my youth, so I vowed to change that with my own stories. I strive to make all my characters interesting, of course, but I pay particular attention to dismantling gender stereotypes.
- DIVERSE CASTS. Because no matter what other demographics we claim, we’re all Earthlings, sharing this planet and its problems (and hopefully some solutions, too).
- NO GRAPHIC SEXUAL EXPLOITATION. There’s enough of that garbage in society without putting it in my books. Slow-burn ships are way more fun, anyway!